Times Past

[ Green School ] [ Sport ] [ History ] [ Pupils work ] [ Links ] [ About us ] [ Extra Curricular ] [ Archive ]                                       
[ Bits and Bytes ] [ Our American Friends ] [ School News ] [ Our ABC of Portlaw ] [ Site Contents ] [ Awards ] 
 [ Class Photographs ]  [Virtual Post Office]  [Virtual Nature Trail] [Our Heritage Trails]

 

Home
Up
More Pictures and Places

 

 

 

 

 

 

You might like to read the text while waiting for the photos. to download

St. Patricks Church

The foundation stone was laid on 28th. March 1858. The building cost 2500. The architect was J.J. McCarthy and the builder was Richard Pierce of Wexford. The style is early Gothic. The building is 110ft. long by 60ft.wide. The chalice in the church has the latin inscription " for the use of Portlaw Parish Church 1754"

 

Mercy Convent

Acquired by the Malcolmsons in 1840 as two residences for their foremen. Intended for use as a railway station. In 1883 five sisters came to the village from Cahir and set up a school and worked with the sick. The last of the Mercy nuns left in December 1999 and the convent was sold in February 2000 and will be used as Refugee centre.

 

The Square

These people are walking towards the old Cotton mills/ Tannery building. This was the widest of the roads leading into the Square and resembled the arm, the square resembled the palm of the hand and the other five roads the fingers. This was the unique plan of Portlaw

 

The Tannery

Officially opened on the site of the old Cotton Mills in 1935 by Sean Lemass. The Tannery brought new prosperity to the village something which had been lacking since the collapse of the Malcolmson empire.

Unfortunately the Tannery closed in1983 with the loss of many jobs.

 

Two photographs from The Fr. Browne Collection which were taken in Portlaw by this famous priest and photographer

 

Above: Mechanical Gates    Right: Girl at pump

 

[ Return to Top ] [ Contact Us ] [ Site Contents ]           info@portlawns.com