Green School ] [ Sport ] [
History ] [ Pupils work ] [
Links ] [ About us ] [
Extra Curricular ] [ Archive ]
The beautiful County of Waterford situated in the sunny South East corner of Ireland
The Waterford County Crest Todays weather
Co-ordinates 52.15°N, 7.23°W
Portlaw is situated 13 miles approx. North West of Waterford City on the banks of the River Clodiagh, which flows into the River Suir. The village is situated North of the main Waterford to Cork road ( N 25 )
The most recent census indicates a population of roughly 1500 people for the village and its surrounding area.
Portlaw village itself is built adjacent to Lord Waterford’s seat at Curraghmore.
The name Portlaw (Port Chladach) comes from the Irish word "cladach" which means sandy bank or landing place.
The village and surrounding area is steeped in history, from the ancient ruins of Kilbunny Church to Curraghmore to the Malcolmson family, and finally the introduction of leather tanning to the village. Within this there is almost thirteen centuries of history.