More Pictures and Places

[ Green School ] [ Sport ] [ History ] [ Pupils work ] [ Links ] [ About us ] [ Extra Curricular ] [ Archive ]                                       
[ Bits and Bytes ] [ Our American Friends ] [ School News ] [ Our ABC of Portlaw ] [ Site Contents ] [ Awards ] 
 [ Class Photographs ]  [Virtual Post Office]  [Virtual Nature Trail] [Our Heritage Trails]

 

Home
Up

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rockett’s Castle

A tower of Norman construction erected on the banks of the Suir in 1212. The fortress manor house was destroyed in 17/18th century. Rockett was a pirate who raided shipping on the river. He was hanged in Waterford. Sir Algernon May later owned it and he gave the name Mayfield to the area..

The house and castle have been extensively renovated over the last few years by its foreign owners as a shooting/fishing estate

 

 

Woodlock

Woodlock was opened by the Sisters of Cluny in April 1909. It was another house which belonged to the Malcolmson family and they left it to the sisters.. The Malcolmsons were not Catholic .

Woodlock is today a nursing home for the elderly run by the sisters

 

The Cotton Mills

Built by the Malcolmson family and around which the village grew. American civil war had a detremental effect on the cotton mills and ultimately was one of the main reasons for its closure. Built in Portlaw because of the availibility of water from the Clodiagh for power and in the cotton process. Connected to the Suir via canal. It is said that the Cadbury Brothers wanted to buy the mills as their Irish depot.

The Tannery opened here in 1935

 

The Presbytery

The curates residence was situated on "Priests Rd.", Knockane. The last curate to live here was Fr. Flynn. The house was demolished several years ago and a new curates residence was built on the site

 

 

The Copper Lodge

A unique building, only one other such building in the world.. A circular building with a roof of copper which had to be constantly polished. 

The lodge was situated inside the grounds of another Malcolmson house called MilFord house .

It was a huge loss to the village when it was dismantled and sold

 

[ Return to Top ] [ Contact Us ] [ Site Contents ]           info@portlawns.com