9 Grotto

[ Green School ] [ Sport ] [ History ] [ Pupils work ] [ Links ] [ About us ] [ Extra Curricular ] [ Archive ]                                       
[ Bits and Bytes ] [ Our American Friends ] [ School News ] [ Our ABC of Portlaw ] [ Site Contents ] [ Awards ] 
 [ Class Photographs ]  [Virtual Post Office]  [Virtual Nature Trail] [Our Heritage Trails]

 

Home
Up

 

 

 

 

 

Stop  9: the grotto

Collage Mary.jpg (67030 bytes)

You are now at the Marian Year Grotto. There used to be few small houses here and this area was known as Gorey Lane. The Grotto was built in 1954 by the workers of the Tannery, which is across the road. They hand-lifted all the stones from the tower hill in the woods of Clonegam. The statues of Our Lady and St. Bernadette are made of carrrara marble. They were brought over from Italy. The Grotto was blessed by the Bishop of Waterford and Lismore, Dr. Coholan, on December 8th, 1954. There was a big parade through the streets of Portlaw. The Artane Boys’ Band even came to play to mark the big occasion. The tannery workers used to give money to keep the Grotto looking nice. The job falls to a few interested locals today, especially the Tidy Towns Committee. Once a year, we, the pupils of Portlaw N.S., clean up the Grotto. It is good to take care of something that has been handed down to us from the past. 

          Go to Step 10

 

[ Return to Top ] [ Contact Us ] [ Site Contents ]           info@portlawns.com