19 Clodiagh House

[ Green School ] [ Sport ] [ History ] [ Pupils work ] [ Links ] [ About us ] [ Extra Curricular ] [ Archive ]                                       
[ Bits and Bytes ] [ Our American Friends ] [ School News ] [ Our ABC of Portlaw ] [ Site Contents ] [ Awards ] 
 [ Class Photographs ]  [Virtual Post Office]  [Virtual Nature Trail] [Our Heritage Trails]

 

Home
Up

 

 

 

 

 

Stop 19: Clodiagh house

This is the Clodiagh House on Queen Street Lower. It was built in 1862 for George Malcomson who later swapped houses with his brother Frederick when Frederick ran out of money. The architect John Skipton Mulvany designed it. It is now used as a childrens’ home run by the Health Board. Notice the fine detailing, including rendered dressings and profiled timber joinery. It also has a veranda. The gateway has a pair of fine gates that have curved flanked railings. There was once a lovely walled garden in the back of it with a little pond in the middle of it.

Some people say that the inspector of the Royal Irish Constabulary used to live there. There is another story that a man on the street told us about a town clock that was at the back of the Clodiagh House. We heard his rhyme more than once on our walks:

Church on a hill
Farmyard on the street
Town clock in a field


   

 

[ Return to Top ] [ Contact Us ] [ Site Contents ]           info@portlawns.com